This is a quickly prepared family favorite that our little one refers to it as “Beeean oup!” and demands for “More! More!” while bouncing up and down in his high chair.
Build upon this to make it your own! Sometimes we add a piece of pork in there while boiling it for 30 minutes and then shred it up before serving. The beans provide plenty of healthy carbs, but if you want to put a little pastina in there or some bread at the bottom of your bowl, go for it.
As with most soups, if leftovers sit overnight in the fridge, it will be more flavorful the next day.
- Olive Oil – 1 Tbs.
- Cherry Tomatoes – 20, halved – substitute with Roma and adjust to your taste
- Salt – 1 or 2 pinches
- Garlic – 2 cloves (or diced)
- Rosemary – 1 or 2 sprigs
- Thyme – 3 or so pinches
- Bay Leaf – 1 or 2 to curb acidity
- Northern Beans – 3 cans (15 oz each)
- Chicken Bouillon – 6 tsp.
- Water – 4 cups
- Place ingredients 1 thru 7 in pot over medium-low to low heat. Cover and stir occasionally until tomatoes breakdown – about 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans and place ingredients 8 thru 10 in pot.
- Cover, stir and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, bring heat to medium or medium-low, uncover and stir occasionally for 30 minutes.