Growing up, we always looked forward to spending Easter with family. It meant playing with cousins, prepping our Easter baskets for an epic egg hunt, traditional Italian food and treats. In addition to the chocolates, jelly beans and horrible marshmallow concoctions, we would get cookies my nonna (grandma). I like to call it a rainbow with sunshine cookie. These Traditional Sicilian Lemon Drop Easter Cookies have a light lemon flavor and should take about an hour from prep to your first bite. When preparing the dough, know that it will come out a little sticky. This makes about 40 cookies.
When we found out we were having a child, one of the things I looked forward to was sharing in traditions we loved. This cookie is one of them. Our little guy ooohs and aahhhhs over the sprinkles. He also gets a little territorial and has to have one in each clenched fist. We remind him that no one else is competing for his cookie, but that doesn’t register to a tot under two. Enjoy and Buona Pasqua!
Traditional Sicilian Lemon Drop Easter Cookies
- Eggs – 3 large
- Sugar – 2/3 c.
- Vanilla Extract – 1 Tbs.
- Flour – 1 lb.
- Baking Powder – 1 Tbs.
- Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp.
- Butter, softened – 1 stick or 4 oz. (click here to see tip on how to quickly soften butter)
- Milk – 1 c.
- Powdered Sugar – 1 c.
- Lemon Extract (or lemon juice) – 1 tsp.
- Water – 2 Tbs.
- Mix 1 thru 3 in a small bowl then set aside.
- Combine 4 thru 6 well. I used a stand up mixer for this part.
- Add lukewarm milk (microwaved for 30 seconds) and egg/sugar mixture – continue mixing until well combined. Dough will be sticky. Let stand for about 30 minutes while you wait for oven to preheat.
- Set aside and preheat oven to 350ºF. If you’re able to convection bake, do so.
- Drop cookie dough onto baking sheet using a tablespoon. You can use a teaspoon for smaller cookies. They will not expand too much, so you can leave about 1/2 an inch between each cookie.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes and let cool.
- Once cooled, mix all icing ingredients together and brush on the tops of cookies.
- Dip cookies into sprinkles and let set.