Want to know a little secret to taming the morning crazy train frazzle dance? Try to prep your breakfasts ahead of time so you can hit the
ground running. These Tangerine Coconut Muffins will do the trick. They have chia seeds which make them seem like a poppy muffin. It’s go to that we’ve thrown into our morning rotation that will take you 40 minutes: 20 to prep, 20 to cook and 10 to cool down and store for the week. In 40 minutes, you’ll have 12 muffins that you can grab and go. If you’re not happy dancing about this, maybe you need some coffee.
My First Time Prepping
Truth be told, I was ambitious once and tried making these while my toddler was awake. It went from a 40 minute recipe to a 5 hour extravaganza. As soon as I got the ingredients together and turned on the mixer, it was game over. He’s drawn to the humming of that beautiful machine that sits on our counter. He kept calling out, “Mama, come!” so that he could show me how to play with his trucks and cars. Then he wanted to take me to his kitchen where he’d whip plastic sausages and peppers and feed me with his mini slotted spoon. I didn’t fight it – who can resist a toddler showing his mad skills?
My hope is to have him love cooking as much as he loves eating. The muffins we made for him were topped with sprinkles instead of an almond. Here’s the skinny on the recipe we use.
Tangerine Coconut Breakfast Muffins
- Sugar – 1/3 c.
- Brown Sugar, loosely packed – 1/3 c.
- Large Eggs, room temperature – 3
- Tangerine Zest – 3 tangerines
- Tangerine Juice – from same 3 tangerines
- Yogurt – 3 Tbs. (we used whole milk)
- Olive Oil – 1/4 c.
- Almond Milk – 1/4 c. (optional, you can use water)
- Vanilla Extract – 3/4 tsp.
- Almond Extract – 3/4 tsp.
- Chia Seeds – 1 Tbs.
- Baking Powder – 1.5 tsp.
- All-Purpose Flour – 1 & 1/3 c.
- Coconut Flour – 1/3 c.
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Almonds – 12 for garnish (sprinkles or cherries will work too)
- Preheat oven to 325º F and place 12 muffin liners in muffin pan.
- Mix items 1 thru 3 on medium for about 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Mix items 4 thru 11 into batter for about 1 minute.
- In separate bowl, stir items 12 thru 15.
- Add dry mix into wet mixture in batches and mix well.
- Fill liners with 1 heaping tablespoon each and top each muffin with an almond, sprinkles or a cherry.
- Bake on center rack for 20 minutes.
- Cool and store for the week!
Pin it for later!