Have you ever made so much of something that the thought of eating another bite of it makes you want to sew your mouth shut? That was the boat I was in with chicken. Though it’s the “healthier” meat choice, I love my beef, bacon and pork. I was looking for a way to reinvent some left overs and came up with this Old World Chicken Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Bake. The beauty of this dish is that it uses another recipe that I made for the week, so this dish is cut down to 20 minutes in the oven and 5 minutes to cool before serving.
Old World Chicken Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Bake
Prior to making this dish, buy either an already cooked chicken to shred or use my Easy Old World Crock Pot Chicken Thighs recipe to prep for the week ahead. You can serve this on a bed of spinach. We like to add spoonful of guacamole or some diced tomatoes on top sometimes. This will serve 4 to 6 people, depending on if someone can finish an entire mushroom.
- Pre-heat over to 400ºF and set aside nonstick baking pan large and deep enough to hold mushrooms.
- Shred chicken thighs and set aside.
- Scrub the mushrooms well, remove stems and scrap out the inside with a spoon. Rinse the inside and pat each mushroom dry.
- Combine bread crumbs, feta and egg.
- Stuff mixture into each mushroom and place in baking dish.
- Cook in oven for 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- If you decide not to cool for 5 minutes and just start eating, this could cause you to scream mid-bite. We highly recommend against this! Ok, I added this to make sure you read through all the directions.
Want recipes delivered to your email? Sign up in the tool bar at the top – they come only once a week. Also, follow us on facebook, pinterest , YouTube or instagram for updates and inspiration. If you have a request or would like to collaborate, be sure to contact us.