This post has affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the links, I may receive monetary compensation at no additional cost to you. Disclosure Statement.
This is another family favorite that can be done in a crock-pot or stove-top. We managed to make this soup healthier by substituting out sour cream for greek yogurt and including a lot of hominy. This is another dish that makes our little guy squirm in his high chair for “beeeehhhhns!”
- Olive Oil – 2 Tbs.
- Roasted Red or Yellow Peppers – 2 or 3
- Diced Red Onion – 1 medium or large
- Boneless, Skinless Chopped Chicken Breast – 2 lbs.
- Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies – 10 oz.
- Diced Tomatoes w/ Lime Juice & Cilantro – 10 oz.
- Crushed Unsalted Tomatoes – 2 lbs.
- Hominy – 6 lb. (we use Juanita’s Foods Mexican Style Hominy, 25 oz – you would need a little over 3 cans of this size)
- Water – 20 oz.
- Chicken Bouillon – 4 Tbs.
- Cumin – 2 Tbs. (we use Cumin Ground By Penzeys Spices .9 oz 1/4 cup jar)
- Coriander – 2 Tbs. (we use Coriander Whole By Penzeys Spices .5 oz 1/4 cup jar)
- Smoked Paprika – 2 Tbs. (we use Smoked Spanish Paprika By Penzeys Spices 1.0 oz 1/4 cup jar)
- Bay Leaves – 4
- Shredded Cheddar, Tortilla Chips, Lime & Greek Yogurt – Garnish
- Warm olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions & peppers for about 10 minutes.
- Clean, dry and brown chicken on all sides in stockpot with onions & peppers.
- Add 5 thru 14 in pot and bring to boil while covered.
- Once boiling, lower heat so that a slow boil is maintained, keep covered and stir occasionally.
- Cook for 1 hour and serve with garnish.
Like with most soups, this is better the next day! Make a huge pot of this and save for future quick meals.