Two confessions! I’ve never made a casserole before and never had one growing up. Also, I love chili rellenos. This turned out to be a quick and easy meal given that I have a kitchen curious toddler who scurries over at the sound of drawers opening and utensils clanking. This was a little spicy for our little guy, so I might not add the chipotle next time. The Greek yogurt was a great substitute for the sour cream.
Have fun with the cheeses you decide to use and get creative by stuffing some rellenos with chicken or pork.
- Whole Green Chilies – 12 or 15 oz can
- Havarti Cheese – 4 deli slices, cut or torn into strips to slip into each chili
- Flour – 1/2 c.
- Chili Powder – 1 tsp.
- Chipotle – 1/2 tsp.
- Smoked Paprika – 1 tsp.
- Eggs – 4 large
- Whole Milk – 1/2 c.
- Cheddar Cheese – 1/2 c. or more
- Salsa – 1/2 c.
- Greek Yogurt – 1/4 c.
- Green Onions – garnish (4 or more)
- Avocado – 1 large sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F & lightly coat baking dish with cooking spray.
- Drain and lay each chili flat on paper towels.
- Slip a piece of havarti into each chili. Don’t worry about filling it from top to bottom – it will spread when cooked.
- Combine and mix items 3 thru 6 before mixing in ingredients 7 & 8.
- Pour egg & flour mixture over chilis & layer the top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes and top with 10 thru 13.