It’s been snowing since this morning and my mom decided to whip up a batch of this healthy comfort food. There’s nothing like a bowl of soup to on a subfreezing day. She took a basic recipe and added her own twist to it. This soup can be accompanied by some warm bread or you could add some rice, quinoa or barley.
If you don’t have the exact ingredients, get creative and substitute. Remember, recipes are just guidelines!
- Italian Sausage – 5 links sliced
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Yellow Onion – 1/2 c. chopped
- Carrots – 1 c. chopped
- Olive Oil – 1 Tbs.
- Red Cabbage – 1 c.
- Green Beans – 1 c.
- Ripe Tomatoes – 2 large chopped
- Fresh Basil – a few leaves or more, chopped
- Water – enough to cover veggies and sausage
- Beef Bullion – to taste
- Oregano – 1 Tbs. or to your liking
- Black Pepper – to your liking
- Zucchini – 1 c. chopped
- Crushed Red Pepper – to your liking
- Place items 1 thru 5 in frying pan and sauté on medium heat until onion is translucent & sausage is halfway browned.
- Add items 6 thru 9 and stir for a few minutes to absorb the sausage flavor.
- Now include items 10 thru 13 and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium or medium low, cover & cook for about 10 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- Add item 14, bring back to a boil and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with crushed red pepper to add some heat.