When you have a toddler running around, this is not a quick dish, but it is so comforting to the hips, thighs, etc. Ah, life!
You can make a butter pie crust yourself and chill it for a couple of hours or buy some already made crusts. I replicated this recipe for the pie crust and have enough left over for future sweet or savory recipes. Note that I only refrigerated it for 2 hours and it was workable!
- Olive Oil – 2 Tbs.
- Red Onion – 1 diced
- Garlic – 2 tsp.
- Beef Loin Top Sirloin – 1 lb cut into bite sized pieces
- Mushrooms – 8 oz. sliced
- Carrots – 3 sliced
- Peas – 1 c.
- Water – 5 c.
- Beef Bouillon – 5 tsp.
- Thyme – 1 Tbs.
- Barley – 1/2 c.
- Corn Starch – 6 tsp.
- Pie Crust – Scratch or Store Bought
- Heat oil and sauté onion on medium heat until translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic, meat & mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Include items 6 thru 11 and cover – bring to a boil and reduce heat to lowest setting so that it continues to slowly boil for 45 minutes.
- Add cornstarch, remove lid and keep at a low boil for additional 15 minutes, until soup thickens.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spoon into oven safe bowls and set aside.
- Cut shapes with your dough and place on top of soup. I brushed egg (mix 1 egg & 1 tsp. water) wash on each piece of dough, but it’s not necessary.
- Place bowls on cookie sheet in case the soup bubbles over and cook for 20 to 35 minutes, until dough is crispy on top.
This was super filling. We left out potatoes from this recipe because we had plenty of carbs with the other veggies and the crust on top.