My mom taught me this dish (15 Minute Italian Sweet n Sour Pepper Recipe) one summer after she came back from visiting her mom, my nonna. Anything coming from either of their cookeries will blow your taste buds away. I think I did a pretty good job replicating it when I heard my husband tell me his coworkers asked him what he was eating because it smelled so good. That’s almost as good as getting a handful of tulips at the end of the day.
This is usually done with Marconi peppers, but the same tasty results come when using bell peppers. Traditionally, you could serve this with sausage, steak or between two slices of crusty bread as a sandwich. They’re amazing the next day. We’ve thrown them in a warm or cool steak salad as well. This dish will make up to 4 servings, if served as a side.
15 Minute Italian Sweet n Sour Pepper Recipe
- After rinsing and drying, slice peppers length-wise and remove seeds.
- Add olive oil to skillet and heat over medium for about 1 minute.
- Add peppers, coat well and raise heat to medium high.
- Add salt and stir continuously until skins start to darken – about 5 minutes. (see video)
- Add sugar while continuously stirring and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Finish off with red wine vinegar. Careful, this will sizzle! Cook an extra minute, turn heat off and cool for a few before serving.
Want recipes delivered to your email? Sign up in the tool bar at the top – they come only once a week. Also, follow us on facebook, pinterest , YouTube or instagram for updates and inspiration. If you have a request or would like to collaborate, be sure to contact us.